Childhood obesity is a growing problem in America, more than doubling in children and quadrupling in adolescents over the past 30 years. Children who are obese have an increased risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes and bone and joint problems. By showing your children how to make healthy food choices, you can help them maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle. Here are a few quick, easy and healthy lunches that your kids are sure to love.
- Healthy Pizza Bagels: We all remember the pizza bagels we ate as a kid, but they aren’t the healthiest option when it comes to school lunches. Try making your own at home with a bagel, pizza sauce, grated cheese and various diced up vegetables.
- DIY Lunchables: Kids love the variety that Lunchables offer, so create a healthier option from home. Buy some silicone liners to keep everything separated and include an array of lunch meat, crackers and cheese.
- Caprese Kabobs: Spear cherry tomatoes, diced mozzarella cheese and basil with a miniature skewer and serve with a side of balsamic dressing.
- Quesadillas: You can never go wrong with this Mexican food classic. Melt cheddar cheese in between two flour tortillas in a pan. You can also include protein with chicken or add vegetables such as spinach or mushrooms.
- Breakfast for Lunch: Add variety to your kids’ brown bag by packing breakfast for lunch. Include classics like Greek yogurt, hardboiled eggs, turkey bacon and a banana.
If you’re looking for healthier meal options for your family, visit your closest Medical City Children’s Hospital Urgent Care to speak with a trained health expert who can help. Designed exclusively to meet the needs of children, Medical City Children’s Hospital Urgent Care provides quick, efficient service so you can avoid the typical hassle of a doctor’s visit. And, by utilizing the online check in, you can avoid the waiting room and be seen immediately.